- The Types of information that may be collected;
- How the information is collected;
- How we use the information that we collect;
- Sharing your information;
- The choices that you have about Better World Books collecting, using, and sharing your information;
- The security precautions that are in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of your information;
- Chat Rooms, Blogs, Forums, and Message Boards;
- Links to third party websites;
- A special note for parents concerning privacy;
- Limitation of liability;
- Correcting and updating your personal data; and
1. THE TYPES OF INFORMATION THAT MAY BE COLLECTED
The personal data we collect is used to facilitate delivery of products and/or services to our customers. In the process of providing these products and/or services, we require our customers to provide certain personal data. Specific details may include, but are not limited to the following and may be subject to change:
In the case of:
- registering with us (“Registration”): Requesting services or otherwise, we may require personal details such as your name, contact details, email address etc;
- programme registrations: We may require all users and/or customers wishing to participate in our programmes or competitions to complete a Participant Registration Form (details of which are on our Site). During this registration process we generate and collect certain personal data from you such as: (i) customer's first and last name, (ii) postcode, (iii) Twitter user i.d. (if applicable), (iv) Facebook user i.d. (if applicable), (v) telephone number, (vi) age; and (vii) email address. In addition, some programme participants will also be required to provide additional personal data such as a shipping address;
- product purchases: In order to complete the purchase of a product, an online credit card transaction may be required. During this process we generate and collect certain verifiable personal data such as: (i) customer's first and last name, (ii) first and last name of the credit card owner, (iii) credit card billing address, (iii) credit card number, (iv) credit card expiration date, (v) card verification value (“CVV”), (vi) customer's shipping address, (vii) phone number, and (viii) email address. By making a purchase from the Site, you understand and agree that we may share information about you and your transaction with other companies for the purpose of processing your transaction, including, without limitation, for purposes of fraud prevention, vendor direct shipping and credit card authorisation.
- a customer sending us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters: We may collect such information into a file specific to such customer; or
- when you use the Site and if you post information on the Site, email or otherwise send information to us.
2. HOW THE INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
We may collect information from you in several different areas on the Site including but not limited to those described below:
- You may be asked first to complete a registration form and provide personal data; you may also be asked to choose a user ID and password in order to order our products or participate in a programme or a service feature (including, without limitation, our Blog) offered on or through the Site.
- Newsletters, Site Emails and Special Offers
- We may offer free newsletters to share information with you about the Site, about our special offers, about us and our affiliates and subsidiaries, or about our business partners, advertisers and sponsors. You may receive a newsletter either by registering for our newsletter on our Site, checking a box to register for our newsletter when you place your order or in conjunction with a special feature or membership for which you have registered on the Site. You may cancel your free email subscription by following the instructions provided on the Site or, in some instances, in the designated area of certain newsletters or emails.
- From time-to-time we may ask you to take party in our surveys or voting polls. Participation is voluntary, however, if you accept our survey/poll invitation we may ask you to disclose personal data in your answers to our survey/poll questions. Please note, you will have the opportunity to decide whether or not to disclose certain information. At times, you may have to register to vote or to take part in a survey.
- We use persistent cookies if you have registered or subscribed with us online. These cookies allow us to make the logging-in process easier and more secure. They will also be used to recognise you when you return to the Site. We also use session cookies that will hold your data on our Site until such time as you log out.
- You can disable the cookies that we attach if your browser supports this. For further information on how to do this, please refer to the “Help” section of your browser. However, you should bear in mind that if you exercise this option, you may be unable to use some of our online services or order our products.
- IP Addresses and Click-stream Data
- We may collect IP addresses and/or click-stream data for purposes of system administration. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet. Our computers identify your computer by its IP address. When you request Web pages from the Site, our computers log your IP address.
Click-stream data is information collected by our computers when you request Web pages from the Site. Click-stream data may include such information as the page served, the time spent reviewing the page, the source of the request, the type of browser making the request, the preceding page view and other such non-personal data. When analysed, this data helps us analyse, for example, how visitors arrive at the Site, what type of content is most popular, what type of visitors in the aggregate are interested in particular kinds of content on the Site and advertising.
- If you buy any products or services offered on our Site, we will ask you to complete an order form that will request certain information from you, including financial information such as: (i) a credit card number and expiration date; and (ii) general contact, billing and shipping information. We will use this information to complete the transaction that you have requested to deliver the product(s) or service(s) that you order, and to invoice you. Credit card numbers and other billing information are securely collected and transmitted to payment processor(s) through encrypted means for your protection. Other information is securely collected and stored through encrypted means for your protection.
3. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
We use personal data about our customers to fulfill orders placed on the Site, to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, to statistically analyse site usage, to improve our content and product offerings and to customise our Site's content and layout. We believe these uses allow us to improve our Site and provide better service to our customers.
We occasionally may use a customer's email address and, in rare situations mailing address or phone number, to contact a customer regarding administrative or billing matters.
We also may use information in the file we maintain about a customer to resolve disputes.
4. SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
Better World Books will only share your personal data with:
- Third party providers of products and services you order
- Other entities owned by Better World Books
- We manage or may manage in the future other websites owned by Better World Books. We may share your personal data within Better World Books and/or its affiliated entities (if any) in order to provide you a better experience on all of our websites.
- Service providers, subcontractors and agents who perform services on our behalf
- We provide personal data to third party service providers, sub-contractors, and agents that work under contract on our behalf to provide certain services. These third parties do not have the right to use the personal data we provide to them in any way that is not authorised by us. They are contractually obligated to use such data only as necessary to assist us and to maintain the confidentiality and security of such data.
- Credit card transactions are handled by third party financial institutions and their vendors and contractors who receive credit card numbers and other personal data from us to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions.
- Protection of Better World Books and Others:
5. THE CHOICES THAT I HAVE ABOUT BETTER WORLD BOOKS COLLECTING, USING, AND SHARING MY INFORMATION
It is possible for you to use much of our Site without giving us any personal data. When you do register with us or give us personal data, you will have an opportunity at the time we collect your information to limit email communications from Better World Books. You can request at any time that Better World Books not send future emails to you by unsubscribing from the communication through links contained therein (typically in the footer of the email). If you require further assistance, you may contact us at [email protected] If you have placed an order with us, please note that such requests do not include emails of a purely administrative nature (i.e., you cannot opt out of receiving order confirmations, shipping confirmations, or arrival confirmations). They do, however, include opting out of special offers and newsletters (as above).
6. THE SECURITY PRECAUTIONS THAT ARE IN PLACE TO PROTECT AGAINST THE LOSS, MISUSE, OR ALTERATION OF YOUR INFORMATION
7. CHAT ROOMS, BLOGS, FORUMS, AND MESSAGE BOARDS
The Site may make chat rooms, forums and message boards available to its users. You are not required to provide any personal data when using these areas but you may choose to do so. If you post personal data online, it will be publicly available and you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties. Better World Books cannot ensure the security of any information you choose to make public in a chat room, forum, or message board. Also, we cannot ensure that parties who have access to such publicly available information will respect your privacy. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose personal data in these areas.
8. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
9. A SPECIAL NOTE FOR PARENTS CONCERNING PRIVACY
We do not encourage children to participate in providing us with any personal data. We ask that minors (12 years of age and under) do not submit any personal data to us.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By providing us with any personal data, to the fullest extent permitted by law, you expressly and unconditionally release and hold harmless Better World Books and its shareholders, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, trustees, employees, volunteers and agents (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the use and/or misuse of your collected personal data. In addition, while Better World Books makes efforts to ensure the proper and appropriate use of data provided by Better World Books to third party companies, promotional partners or vendors, the Releasees are not liable for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the use and/or misuse of your collected personal data by such third parties.
12. CORRECTING AND UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
If your personal data changes (such as your postcode), or if you no longer desire to access our Site, we will endeavour to provide a way to correct or update the personal data you have provided to us. This can be done by making changes to your profile, by using an option out message in an email, or by emailing us at [email protected].
Better World Books UK
Castle Industrial Centre - Unit 10
You may also contact us by email at [email protected].